Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Congress Breaks Up


If you're being audited, congratulations, you've been blessed with a few extra days.

Last night, congress stomped it's angry little feet and went home. They will be eating sympathy ice-cream and catching up on Breaking Bad for the next week, at least.

The floor of America's legislative branch has been ripe with tension for the past 8 years, and finally, those legislators decided that it was time to take a break.

"It's not you it's me," they said, "I just need my space."

According to an article on nbcpolitics.com, all services that effect normal people will continue despite the awkward split between House Republicans and Democrats. Medicade, medicare and, of course, military salaries, shall continue to flow from the resourceful hire-ups. 

Essentially, the shutdown won't have much effect on most Americans, because congress will accomplish about as much on Netflix as it does at work.

Democrats and Republicans, despite their best efforts, are not handling the split amicably.

"This is not about me," said House Speaker John Boehner, according to the article from NBC. "This is not about Republicans here in Congress."

Sen. Jeff Flake, R- Ariz., seemed to be in denial, this morning, on MSNBC's Morning Joe, “I can’t believe it will go for very long,” he said.  Continuing to be the host of the pity-party, he added, "“I think we all share the same goal....But it’s no secret that I haven’t agreed with the tactic or the strategy here." In this reporters opinion, it's time to move on, Flake. Go find a re-bound (Associate Justice Scalia?)

Boehner, however, insisted that a break was the only way for congress to resolve it's relationship differences. He told NBC that the split wasn't about either party, but "fairness."

President Obama, as always, seems to be wearing the pants during this time of crisis between Democrats and the GOP. When prompted as to what he, as president, could bring to the table in order to stabilize the relationship, Obama responded, "I shouldn't have to offer anything...They're not doing me a favor by paying for things that they have already approved for the government to do. That's part of their basic function of government, that's not doing me a favor."

As Americans, we hope that Congress can see past it's differences and remember that what they had was special.  Someone needs to be the bigger person. Congress must tell each-other how they truly feel, or risk losing that which holds this country together: a country we love, a country we care about. This is more devastating than Richard Geer's split with Carey Lowell.

Shake hands and make up, Congress. America misses you.

  "I've had the time of my life/ No I've never felt this way before/ and I swear it's the truth / and I owe it all to you."


The article




 

No comments:

Post a Comment