Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Day in the life

I thought “together despite all, glimpsing the distant finish” was well written and colorful article. This was the first day in the life article I read, and it gave me a great example to mirror my own article I will write this week. This day in the life article reminded me of a form of writing I learned in my creative nonfiction classes, which is literary journalism. This is exciting for me because I really enjoyed literary journalism, and I can see myself having an enjoyable time writing my article. From this article I learned that a day in the life consists of a lot of reporting, scenes, and overall, the story of someone. Even though the person I will be writing about isn't as important as Marc, the bombing victim, I want to mirror the style this writer used to talk about his life.

The day in the life article called “Elite Korean Schools, Forging Ivy League Skills” was completely different than the marathon bombing one. To compare, it seemed as the marathon bombing one was much more of a true day in the life story. This elite Korean school article focused on a wider subject, being the day in the life of students at this hardcore Korean high school. I didn’t like this one half as much because it wasn’t as smooth in telling to story as the marathon bombing one was. This article seemed more like a regular news story. But wow, the Korean school talked about in this article is crazy to read about. My stomach turns as I read about the long school days, the perfect scores on the SAT’s, and the parents getting mad at their kids if they don’t score a 100. This to me is a little over the top. Please, Korean students of this school and other elite schools, live your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment