Monday, November 18, 2013

11/17-11/22


I really enjoyed the Sarah Schweitzer story about the Boston Marathon survivor.  My favorite part about this story was the lead that the author used.  Not only did it describe a scene, but it really set the tone for the rest of the story.  It allowed to author to take a very personal angle and immediately got me emotionally invested in the story.  I really want to try and employ a spin on a regular lead in more of my stories.

One of the other day in the life stories I read was the "day in the life of an elite korean school."  I really enjoyed this story and found it to be very informative.  Something I thought was really interesting was that the author not only described "a day in the life" but also discussed some possible conflicts within these elite schools.  I thought that this gave the story a lot more depth than it would have had otherwise.  In addition, the author managed to incorporate this conflict without taking away from the original point of the story.  I thought this showed a lot of talent and I hope to be able to do something similar when writing my "day in the life" piece.

The third day in the life story I read was "a day in the life reading on the NYC subway."  I really enjoyed that the author of this story focused on a very unique group of people.  Readers on the NYC subway are not a group that I knew much about or would ever think to focus on.  I thought that the author did an incredible job of making a relatively insignificant group, significant while also writing a very interesting and informative story.

No comments:

Post a Comment